I am planning to use UVM-SC primarily since we are coming up with HLS design methodology for few IPs. HLS design is in System-C and we want to leverage the verification capabilities of UVM in both Pre-HLS (SystemC) and Post-HLS (RTL) DUT.

How much of verif components/infrastructure can be reused between verification of System-C DUT and RTL DUT? Do we only need to change the DUT <-> TB_TOP connection part (sc_signal in SystemC changing to virual_interface in UVM)? Or any other changes will be needed?

I am looking to understand the quantum of change that will be needed to gauge the TB maintenance and complexity over the long term in the production flow.

This strongly depends on how you struture your testbench. We presented a poster (and had a talk) about using UVM-SystemC to verify a processor (teh pdf can be found here: https://riscv-europe.org/media/proceedings/posters/2023-06-07-Stanislaw-KAUSHANSKI-abstract.pdf). We chose to have TLM2.0 as the VIF which allowed us to hook-up the testbench with a verilated representation of the desing as well as an HDL Simulator or even some FPGA based solution. This way we can re-use the entire tesbench at different abstraction levels.

• 4 months later...

Hi Mohammed,

I have been working on a unified UVM-SC based testbench architecture for portability across design abstraction, in particular (C++/SystemC) HLS and (SystemVerilog) RTL.

Sounds exactly what you are interested in. I can't readily share anything with you in writing at this point in time, but certainly willing to have a chat and share some concrete ideas which are underlying my approach. The result is a common UVM-based testbench from HLS to RTL (optionally even from architectural/algorithm model to HLS, and from RTL simulation to RTL co-emulation using h/w assisted acceleration), with reuse of all "transaction-level" verification components and testbench, and thus also tests as well as (black-box) functional coverage, etc.

If want to talk, pls reach out to me at hvdschoot@gmail.com

Cheers - Hans