[A simple question] what dose the prefix "m_" mean?

members labeled m_* are typically fields/tasks/functions which should be considered internal/implementation dependent and are not part of the UVM standard. they are subject to change at any time without notice or deprecation process. no user code should be using any m_* coming from the uvm_pkg. the standard+library reference also should not have references to any m_* field/member.

why is that:

the reason for this is that sv doesnt have "friend" modifiers like c++ has (http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/inheritance/). basically the externally visible api of a sv class is the same for ALL other classes. you cant distinguish between code which can access certain members and classes which cannot access certain members.

Sean,

So far, no one has requested that the friend construct be added to SystemVerilog. SystemVerilog is derived from Java, which does not have the concept of friends. Do a search for "Friends in Java" and you will see the proper way to deal with this issue.

Many times I see people forget that a member is always a friend to a class of the same or derived type. For example

class Packet;
  protected int i;
  function integer compare (Packet other);
    compare = (this.i == other.i);
  endfunction
endclass
The reference to other.i is allowed because other is the same class type.

Another problem is the fact that the OVM/UVM was designed without the use packages in mind, mainly because of inconsistent SystemVerilog implementations at the time. Everything in is one giant monolithic package, so importing uvm_pkg exposed everything unprotected to the user.