Trivial slave -- still use a sequencer, or use another approach

This is a question from a newbie, so I apologize if this is a dumb question. On the bus I'm working on, the slave is trivial -- it has a bunch of inputs, but the only output is a 'ready' signal, indicating that the slave is ready to receive a command.

Creating a driver / sequencer / sequences / transaction to toggle one signal seems like an overkill, but on the other hand, I want to be able to control how the ready signal behaves from within a test. Should I go with the full transaction approach, or just write some configuration values directly into the driver that will then have a few toggle "modes"?

I'm new to UVM, so I don't want to start hacking "custom" solutions without understanding the full system well yet, but it doesn't seem right either to build a full agent-load of components just to toggle one signal. :)

hi,

i would use the same standard infrastructure for a couple of reasons

- things never stay simple

- you may already have a transaction: delay-between-request-response, react-or-not,

- you want a standard approach to control your components

- you may want standard transaction recording

- you may want standard sequence like behaviour (controllable from higher layers)

- the only thing i would save if the agent is never,never, never used in passive mode is the monitor