b_transport and register_b_transport

HI 

1) I think "b_transport" is the function which we use to do blocking transport.

whereas "register_b_transport" is the function which we use in Target constructor to bind our target socket

so that it can receive b_transport call, whenever this call is done.

We call "b_transport" function in initiator  and define it in target.

2) I think the system will work, but you have to actually bind both these sockets in a "top" file.

Regards,

Rajit

Yes rajit.a,

I had also seen in my model that

b_transport is used with initiator sockets 

and register_b_transport with target sockets

If i change b_transport with register_b_transport and vice versa, then there is compilation error

But I want to know about register_b_transport and b_transport more in details if there is something more to know about these

Regards

cam

Hi Cam,

register_b_transport is a feature of the "simple sockets". The idea of the simple sockets is that you register functions with the socket itself, and then when the user calls b_transport in a simple_target socket, it automatically calls the function you register.

The simple sockets are part of the TLM utilities - they are there for your convenience, but are not part of the interoperability layer.

Have a look at section 16.1.2 of IEEE 1666-2011

regards

Alan

P.S. One other thing people often overlook - when you use the simple sockets, you do *not* have to implement the fw_transport_if in your target - it is implemented for you in the simple target socket.

P.P.S. The function you register with register_b_transport does not have to be called b_transport - however that would be confusing if you decided to use another name.

Yes rajit.a,

I had also seen in my model that

b_transport is used with initiator sockets 

and register_b_transport with target sockets

If i change b_transport with register_b_transport and vice versa, then there is compilation error

But I want to know about register_b_transport and b_transport more in details if there is something more to know about these

Regards

cam

Hi amitk3553

I don't think you can change b_transport with register_b_transport.

Both have their specialized tasks. b_transport is for calling and register_b_transport is just for receiving.

register_b_transport is only used in simple sockets case and not in tlm sockets.

I hope this answers your query.

Regards,

Rajit 

Hi Cam,

register_b_transport is a feature of the "simple sockets". The idea of the simple sockets is that you register functions with the socket itself, and then when the user calls b_transport in a simple_target socket, it automatically calls the function you register.

The simple sockets are part of the TLM utilities - they are there for your convenience, but are not part of the interoperability layer.

Have a look at section 16.1.2 of IEEE 1666-2011

regards

Alan

P.S. One other thing people often overlook - when you use the simple sockets, you do *not* have to implement the fw_transport_if in your target - it is implemented for you in the simple target socket.

P.P.S. The function you register with register_b_transport does not have to be called b_transport - however that would be confusing if you decided to use another name.

What is the difference between simple sockets and TLM sockets