How to define `sc_fixed` variables that have word/integer lengths that are based off (but not the same size as!) those of a template parameter

monkey_nuts

Let's say I want to write a generic SystemC module which does some algorithm processing on fixed point data of various representations, so I implement it as as module template where the fixed point input/output type is specified as a template parameter. My algorithm requires more headroom for it's intermediate operations than is available by the input/output type so I'd like to declare some intermediate fixed point variables which have more integer bits but the same number of fractional bits. How do I do this? Is there any way to query the word/integer lengths of the `sc_fixed` template parameter and use/modify them to define new `sc_fixed` variables within the module. 

I've tried using the `wl()` and `iwl()` methods but these only get evaluated at runtime so can't be used as template arguments.

Here is an example of what doesn't work:

template <typename T>
SC_MODULE(proc)
{
    sc_in<bool> clk;    // Clock signal
    sc_in<bool> rst_n;  // Reset signal
    sc_in<T> in_sig;    // Input signal
    sc_out<T> out_sig;  // Output signal

const T tttt;
    typedef sc_fixed<tttt.wl()+3, tttt.iwl()+3> internal_sig_t;
    internal_sig_t internal_sig_0, internal_sig_1;

}

Is there a way of doing this which actually works?

Note: As a workaround I could just pass the `sc_fixed` template parameters instead of the predefined type but this starts getting very messy if I have multiple input/output types with different options for not just for word/integer lengths so would prefer not to go this route.

If not intended for direct synthesis (i.e., HLS), you could use the sc_fix and sc_ufix base classes. See IEEE-1666-2011 section 7.1 for more information. Section 7.10.7 describes the accessor methods to interrogate incoming objects. The non-"ed" classes simply use the constructor to establish the parameters.

It's all basic C++ stuff.

Thanks for the feedback.

The design is indeed intended for synthesis (using Stratus HLS) so I'm stuck with the "...ed" classes (or actually the Stratus implementations of these which is a whole other matter).

The only appropriate accessor methods that I can see in section 7.10.7 are `wl()` and `iwl()` which, as indicated in my original post, don't work for me.  😐

You can use C++ partial template specialization to deduce the template parameters for sc_fixed<> , and then store off the values you find.

There is an example of this (to find the dimensions of a C array) in this file:

https://github.com/hlslibs/matchlib_toolkit/blob/main/include/auto_gen_fields.h

Note the code for finding the size of single dimensional array using partial template specilization:

image.png.ea440fdf737ffbd5e2f7ed4c9810252a.png

This all should go thru HLS no problem since it all gets resolved in the front end.

-Stuart Swan

@StuartSwan: Nice one! It took me a while to figure out the correct syntax to get this working but the following seems to do the trick:

template <class T>
class type_traits
{
public:
    static const int wl{0};
    static const int iwl{0};
};

template <int W, int I>
class type_traits< sc_fixed<W, I> >
{
public:
    static const int wl{W};
    static const int iwl{I};
};

template <typename T>
SC_MODULE(proc)
{
    sc_in<bool> clk;    // Clock signal
    sc_in<bool> rst_n;  // Reset signal
    sc_in<T> in_sig;    // Input signal
    sc_out<T> out_sig;  // Output signal

typedef sc_fixed<type_traits<T>::wl+3, type_traits<T>::iwl()+3> internal_sig_t;
    internal_sig_t internal_sig_0, internal_sig_1;

}

It even works on the Stratus fixed point type implementations.

Many thanks for your help!