Verify shared address map with stand-alone and unified enable signals by RGM or REG?

There are 3 channels in my DUT, these 3 channels have the same register files, which have the same address map.

There are 4 CE (channel enable signal) on the interface, CE0, CE1, CE2 and CE_all.

There is only one address signal and one write data signal, like normal bus.

When a write transaction is initiated ...

If CE_all is asserted, the selected registers in all 3 channels are written.

If only CE0 is asserted, only the selected register in channel 0 is written.

If only CE1 is asserted, only the selected register in channel 1 is written.

If only CE2 is asserted, only the selected register in channel 2 is written.

The same address on the bus, but may have 4 different effects.

I am not sure if I can implement the register files for this specification by Cadence's RGM or UVM_REG?

The most challenging thing I can imagine so far is that CE_all need to update all register database.

Shared address map is also a problem, maybe using different register database can help, but contradict CE_all case.

Please kindly help.

Thanks.

Edited by leo_chen

Who controls the CE_* signal? if that is the bus master, they can be treated as additional address bits. You'd have to extend the register model (via callbacks) to reflect accesses done in the "CE_all" space to the mirrored values of the other registers.

If these signals are externally controlled, you'd have to use a user-defined frontdoor to make sure the right CE_x signal is asserted to acess a particular instance of a register.

P.S. You are aware that "RGM" is *NOT* part of the UVM standard, aren't you??

Who controls the CE_* signal? if that is the bus master, they can be treated as additional address bits. You'd have to extend the register model (via callbacks) to reflect accesses done in the "CE_all" space to the mirrored values of the other registers.

CE_* are controlled by an address decoder outside the DUT, so it should be this case.

I think post_access() should be the callback I should utilize in RGM for this case.

I never use UVM_REG, so not sure what callbacks it support for this case. (However, I think aliased register in UVM_REG is similar to mirrored register in RGM)

P.S. You are aware that "RGM" is *NOT* part of the UVM standard, aren't you??

Yes, I know.

I have not migrated to UVM yet, but already had some OVM RGM experience.

If there is an easy and free way to generate register classes for UVM_REG, like XML->SV provided in RGM package, I will try to use UVM_REG.

Thank you Janick, I learned very much from your book.

You should contact your Cadence AE and ask for iregGen -- we don't post it, and it's not in the release yet. This is the current standard protocol.

It takes in IP-XACT 1.5 XML and uses the IEEE 1685-2009 (I think that's the spec) for the schemas. From there you can create:

UVM_REG -- which I use

OVM_RGM

UVM_RGM

There are some difference in the vendor extensions in the README file. Even if you have other tools in place (a lot of people want to take a word document and generate IP-XACT with non-free tools -- you should still use iregGen -- it will create the vendor extensions for the outputted register model correctly.

Callback hooks are generated for every register.