Can sc_mutex mechanism be implemented inside an sc_spawned thread?

kcai1107

I am using SystemC 2.3.2. To run-time configuration needs, I have to create a dynamic thread process by sc_spawn (by default), and a wait() statement works normally as in a static SC_THREAD process. However, when adding a pair of sc_mutex lock() and unlock() calls for some synchronization work, I get such a run-time error:  

Error: (E519) wait() is only allowed in SC_THREADs and SC_CTHREADs:

in SC_METHODs use next_trigger() instead

Obviously, this error message is of a misleading because the dynamic process I create is undoubtedly a thread type process and wait() works well. I read some examples where sc_mutext can be used with SC_THREADs and this is the very reason I create a dynamic thread rather than a dynamic method. Can anybody in this community let me know if I do something wrong or the SystemC 2.3.2 still does not support sc_mutex implementation inside a spawned thread process?

This issue already becomes a show-stopper in my work, so I do sincerely appreciate your prompt attention and help!

KC

Hi David,

Many thanks for your help!

As I mentioned, the reason to put sc_mutex inside a (with sc_spawn) dynamic thread instead of dynamic method is because I see some sc_mutex examples where concurrent SC_THREADs are used. But I still prefer to spawn a dynamic method to implement sc_mutex if allowed. Hence, I am also wondering if sc_mutex could be somehow used in either static or dynamic method even though sc_mutex may implicitly contains wait statements.    

Back to your requirement for the code sharing, I feel like a detailed enough code segment will show you how I've implemented sc_mutex inside a dynamic thread process. This FIFO item issue is essentially of bounded buffer producer-consumer problem.  The errors are originated from the sc_mutex implementation on "consumer side" inside dynamic_thread_process, and there is no complaint on sc_mutex implementation on "producer side" in fifo_item_producer() routine.  The thing is that once commenting out the two lines of sc_mutex inside dynamic_thread_process the run-time errors aforementioned are all gone. The wait statement inside while loop has never a problem, so the wait() is irrelevant to the run-time error (but that run-time error message still points to it).

The code segments are as follows:

class network : sc_module 
{

void end_of_elaboration( )
    {

// FIFO and mutex (to synchronize FIFO item insertion and removal) setup
        // NOTE: n_inits and n_targs become certain at end of elaboration

fifo_mutex            = new sc_mutex*[n_inits];
        my_fifo                  = new std::deque<item_type>*[n_inits];        
        select_value          = new int[n_inits];

for( int i = 0; i < n_inits; i++ )
        {
            fifo_mutex[i]     = new sc_mutex[n_targs];
            my_fifo[i]           = new std::deque<item_type>[n_targs];
            select_value[i]  = -1;
        }

// Spawn a dynamic thread process (by default) per target       
        for( int i = 0; i < n_targs; i++ )
        {
            sc_spawn_options* opt = new sc_spawn_options;
            ostringstream oss;
            oss << "dynamic_thread_process" << i;
            sc_spawn( sc_bind(&network::dynamic_thread_process, this, i), oss.str().c_str(), opt );
        }
    }

void fifo_item_producer( item_type item );
    void dynamic_thread_process( int targ );

int n_inits;
    int n_targs;

// Dynamically define a 2D STL deque array and a 2D-array for sc_mutex

std::deque<item_type>** my_fifo;
    sc_mutex**                        fifo_mutex;
    int*                                     select_value;                                     

};

// The FIFO item producer that contains a critical section to be synchronized with sc_mutex mechanism
void network::fifo_item_producer( item_type item )
{
    // Extract init and targ information from item

//********* Beginning of protection of the item insertion with fifo_mutex *************//

fifo_mutex[init][targ].lock( );        
    my_fifo[init][targ].push_back( item );
    fifo_mutex[init][targ].unlock();

//************ End of protection of the item insertion with fifo_mutex ************//

// This dynamic thread process that is essentially a FIFO item consumer, also needs synchronizing with sc_mutex mechanism 
void network::dynamic_thread_process ( int targ )
{
    while( true )
    {        
        int       select;
        item_type item;
        bool      popped = false;

for( int iters = 0; iters < n_inits; iters++ )
        {
             select = (++select_value[targ]) % n_inits;

//************ Beginning of protection of the item removal with fifo_mutex ************//

// NOTE: if the next line is commented out, run-time error message is gone                
             fifo_mutex[select][targ].lock( );

if( my_fifo[select][targ].size() )
             {                   
                 item = my_fifo[select][targ].front();                    
                 my_fifo[select][targ].pop_front( );                 
                 popped = true;
                 break;
             }

// NOTE: if the next line is commented out, run-time error message is gone    
             fifo_mutex[select][target].unlock( );

//************ End of protection of the item removal with fifo_mutex ************//
        }

if( popped == true )
        {
           // process the popped item

}

wait( sc_time(10, SC_NS) );    

} // end of while loop

} // end of dynamic_thread_process     

• 3 weeks later...

@kcai1107: Thanks for sharing the code snippet. A minimal self-contained example exposing the issue would be helpful to replicate the issue on our side though -- especially if it is a real issue to be addressed in the SystemC proof-of-concept implementation. sc_mutex are derived from sc_object and therefore, it is recommended to manage a collection of such objects using sc_vector. The minimum benefit would be the possibility to give them a good (hierarchical) instance name, which would facilitate debugging. Have you tried to modify your implementation to use the non-blocking trylock() + wait in your dynamic process instead of the blocking lock() to work around the issue?