Backtrace with sc_report_error()

AndrewH

Does anyone know if it is possible to see the call stack when sc_report_error() is called?

Here's an example of the output under lldb when my systemC program is run. The call to sc_report_error() causes the program to exit, leaving no call stack.

Error: (E5) out of bounds
In file: /usr/local/systemc/include/sysc/datatypes/bit/sc_bit_proxies.h:2487
In process: x.y.z @ 5 ns
Process 10618 exited with status = 1 (0x00000001) 

Is there a configuration flag to cause sc_report_error() to not cause an exit()?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I suspect your problem is not understanding that the default action for SC_ERROR is to throw an exception. So you have two choices:

1. Surround calls with a try/catch block.

2. Change the default action to SC_DISPLAY without SC_THROW.

I would also suggest you use the SC_REPORT_ERROR() macro so that you get the file and line number where the call originated.

On 3/2/2018 at 3:31 PM, David Black said:

I suspect your problem is not understanding that the default action for SC_ERROR is to throw an exception. So you have two choices:

1. Surround calls with a try/catch block.

2. Change the default action to SC_DISPLAY without SC_THROW.

I would also suggest you use the SC_REPORT_ERROR() macro so that you get the file and line number where the call originated.

1. Doesn't try/catch block work only within that thread?

2. Can you kindly point me to documentation on how to change the default action of SC_ERROR? I couldn't find it in the UserGuide and did not find useful googling the internet. I would like to change it to SC_ABORT and change the abort handler to use Boost to dump the stack (as Roman suggested above).

Yes, SC_REPORT_ERROR() is being used and in the output that I showed above, it is identifying a system C include file as the place where SC_REPORT_ERROR() is called.

On 3/2/2018 at 6:16 PM, Roman Popov said:

34 minutes ago, AndrewH said:

Can you kindly point me to documentation on how to change the default action of SC_ERROR? I couldn't find it in the UserGuide and did not find useful googling the internet.

Did you checked SystemC standard? 8.3 sc_report_handler.

You can try doing it like this:

void my_handler(const sc_report& r, const sc_actions & a) {
    sc_report_handler::default_handler(r,a);
}
sc_report_handler::set_handler(my_handler);

Thanks for all of the suggestions. It turns out that the file name and line number in the output that I originally posted can be used to set a breakpoint and from there a call stack can be dumped (with bt). This approach is a bit like what Roman had suggested.

I was also able to get sc_report_handler::set_action() to work. It's great to have all of the options suggested here.