Equivalence of bit duplication from Verilog in SystemC

wayne911

Hi all, 

I am a user of Verilog all the while, and I am currently looking into raising abstraction level of digital system design. To start off with, I am trying to convert a project written originally in Verilog into SystemC, and then try to synthesize back from SystemC into Verilog to see the synthesis performance.

I am currently stuck with bit duplication in SystemC. For example, in Verilog, we can do bit duplication by using the syntax below:

output[15:0] = {8{d[8]}, d[7:0]}

I know that SystemC allow for concatenation. However, duplication using 8(d[8]) seem doesn't work in SystemC. Any advice?

I am actually trying to develop a simple microprocessor from SystemC into synthesizable verilog code. The verilog code that shows the need to implement the idea of sign extension is as below:

output[15:0] = word? d[15:0] : {8{d[8]}, d[7:0]};

To my knowledge, the datatype declaration for SystemC must be determined at compile time right? i.e. we cannot declare the datatype for d in the verilog as sc_int<8> or sc_int<16>, which is depending on the control signal "word".

Hence, in this case, how do we write in SystemC in order to get the corresponding synthesized verilog code?

I'd assume from your code that you're not actually *declaring* d based on word, in the Verilog d is presumably declared as reg [15:0].

You could write equivalent functionality using an if, e.g.

sc_int<16> d, output;

void make_output () { // register as an SC_METHOD
    for (int i = 0; i<15; i++)
      output[i] = d[8];
    if (word)
       output = d;
    else
       output[7:0] = d[7:0];
}

regards

Alan

P.S. There may be an easier way, I just can't think of it at the moment :-)