SPOILER ALERT:  I figured this one out, but since I'd already typed up most of the question, here it is anyhow posted to the public domain.   Comments welcome.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who can tell me how to pass a hex value into Systemverilog using uvm_cmdline_processor?

My current code is shown below as well as the command line option that is supplied.

code snippet: 

bit [31:0] stimulus_xyz_min = 32'h12121212;             // *** setting default here works fine

`uvm_info(get_type_name(), $psprintf("1st TEST-SETTINGS.  xyz_min=%8h",stimulus_xyz_min), UVM_LOW)
      if (cmdline_proc.get_arg_values(.match("+xyz_min="), .values(arg_values))) begin  
		stimulus_xyz_min = arg_values[$];  
	end
      `uvm_info(get_type_name(), $psprintf("2nd TEST-SETTINGS.  xyz_min=%8h",stimulus_xyz_min), UVM_LOW)

command line option:   //** this value passed in from cmdline is not properly recognized
+xyz_min=09090909

The edited (for clarity) output is here (where you can see that the above +xyz_min did not 'take'):
1st TEST-SETTINGS. xyz_min=12121212
2nd TEST-SETTINGS. xyz_min=30393039

More +options/results data points listed here:
+xyz_min=09090909
2nd TEST-SETTINGS. xyz_min=30393039
+xyz_min=00000000
2nd TEST-SETTINGS. xyz_min=30303030
+xyz_min=00000001
2nd TEST-SETTINGS.  xyz_min=30303031
+xyz_min=00000002 
2nd TEST-SETTINGS.  xyz_min=30303032
+xyz_min=00000020
2nd TEST-SETTINGS.  xyz_min=30303230

Woo-hoo.  I looked at some other code I was using, which used

stimulus_lkj = arg_values[$].atoi();

and then in the sv spec found atohex.

Using the following worked (emphasis on .atohex()).

`uvm_info(get_type_name(), $psprintf("1st TEST-SETTINGS.  xyz_min=%8h",stimulus_xyz_min), UVM_LOW)
      if (cmdline_proc.get_arg_values(.match("+xyz_min="), .values(arg_values))) begin
             stimulus_xyz_min = arg_values[$].atohex();  
      end
      `uvm_info(get_type_name(), $psprintf("2nd TEST-SETTINGS.  xyz_min=%8h",stimulus_xyz_min), UVM_LOW)

+xyz_min=1ACECAFE
2nd TEST-SETTINGS.  xyz_min=1acecafe

Even thoe I initially thought I was seeing the ASCII values, I mistakenly looked at an ASCII table of decimal-to-char, instead of hex-to-char, which further confused me.

I'd even tried this (as a wild hope that cmdline_processor would recognize it):
   +xyz_min=0x12121212
   +xyz_min=32'h12121212