JPEG encoder on SystemC

Grigoriy

Hello

I do JPEG encoder on SystemC. This model should give data from every part of JPEG (DCT and other) at appropriate cycle. Like RTL but without inside structure of every blocks.

1. Will be this model cycle-accurate or loosely-timed or may be other?

2. Need I use SC_THREAD for these purpose or using SC_METHOD will be enough?

Thank

1. What is the purpose of this encoder? Will it be used to allow software development or is it intended to model intended performance (choose one or the other)? The choice of answer will lead you to the general coding style of either loosely-timed or approximately-timed. Cycle-accurate is an extreme form of approximately-timed.
  2. SC_THREAD's tend to be easier to code IMNSHO. Which you choose should be dependent on which is easier to code for your application, and that may be tied to the project description. If a state-machine description is given, then SC_METHOD's may be more appropriate.

1. Do I get it right - if I describe the functional behavior and synchronize the input & output data of each block, I'll get a model of AT type? Please specify if I'm using the AT term correctly.

2. If the model is just pipeline (doesn't contain FSM), how should I use sc_threads? I'm not really sure, since these methods usually simulate software threads. If I'm still deciding on using threads for describing the hardware, should I be using fifo for sync?