registering sequence with a particular phase of sequencer

Hello ,

I have one sequence x_seq which is associated with x_sequencer. Inside UVM , I think we have facility to register a specific sequence with particular phase.

For example : x_seq is reset sequence so it will be associate with reset_phase().

Can anyone explain with example how to register a sequence with a particular phase with the help of uvm_config_db ?

Thanks.

Hello,

you should add this code in the build phase of yout testcase:

// reset phase sequence

uvm_config_db#(uvm_object_wrapper)::set(this,

"path_to_your_sequencer.reset_phase",

"default_sequence",

your_reset_sequence::type_id::get());

// main phase sequence

uvm_config_db#(uvm_object_wrapper)::set(this,

"path_to_your_sequencer.main_phase",

"default_sequence",

your_main_sequence::type_id::get());

Thanks ,

I have tried your example , but its still not calling the sequence from the test.

Following is the sample code which I tried in my test :

virtual function void build_phase(uvm_phase phase);

super.build_phase(phase);

my_tb = my_testbench::type_id::create("my_tb", this);

uvm_config_db#(uvm_object_wrapper)::set(this,"my_tb.my_agent.my_seqr.reset_phase","default_sequence",my_seq::type_id::get());

endfunction:build_phase

Hi,

at a first glance, the code seems fine. You probably didn't set the right path to your sequencer, so you sequence is not registred for this phase. Try UVM_FULL as verbosity level to debug, so for each sequencer instance and phase an info will be printed out.

In your case one should look like

[PHASESEQ] Starting default sequence 'my_seq' for phase 'reset'

if the sequence is properly registred, or

[PHASESEQ] No default phase sequence for phase 'reset'

if not. If its registered, you should search the problem in your seqeunce.

Another possibility is that your sequence path is fine but your reset phase is finishing in 0 time. If this sequence is supposed to complete before reset phase is done, then make sure the sequence raises and drops an objection to the phase. The sequence can get a handle to the current phase via its handle to its parent sequencer.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi jwanger ,

I tried following sample code to register a sequence in pre_reset phase into build phase of test code and ran with UVM_DEBUG:

uvm_config_db #(uvm_object_wrapper)::set(this,"my_tb.my_agent.my_seqr.pre_reset_phase","default_sequence",my_seq::type_id::get());

But it gave me following message :

[PHASESEQ] No default phase sequence for phase 'pre_reset'

Which means that it did not register the my_seq with pre_reset phase. I cross checked my sequencer path and it is proper.

Do we have any working example in which registering sequence to a particular phase is working?

• 5 weeks later...

Here is flow to register a sequence with uvm phase along with proper raise and drop objection mechanism inside sequence which is working and running properly :

Inside Test’s build phase , registering the sequence with particular UVM phase with help of uvm_config_db :

=======================================================================================

virtual function void build_phase(uvm_phase phase);

super.build_phase(phase);

uvm_config_db#(uvm_object_wrapper)::set(this,"my_tb.my_agent.my_seqr.pre_reset_phase","default_sequence",my_powergood_seq::type_id::get());

uvm_config_db#(uvm_object_wrapper)::set(this,"my_tb.my_agent.my_seqr.reset_phase","default_sequence",my_reset_seq::type_id::get());

uvm_config_db#(uvm_object_wrapper)::set(this,"my_tb.my_agent.my_seqr.configure_phase","default_sequence",my_cfg_seq::type_id::get());

uvm_config_db#(uvm_object_wrapper)::set(this,"my_tb.my_agent.my_seqr.main_phase","default_sequence",my_test_seq::type_id::get());

uvm_config_db#(uvm_object_wrapper)::set(this,"my_tb.my_agent.my_seqr.shutdown_phase","default_sequence",my_flush_seq::type_id::get());

Inside Base Sequence’s pre_body() and post_body() tasks for raise and drop objection mechanism :

=======================================================================================

virtual task pre_body();

if (starting_phase!=null) begin

`uvm_info(get_type_name(),

$sformatf("%s pre_body() raising %s objection",

get_sequence_path(),

starting_phase.get_name()), UVM_MEDIUM);

starting_phase.raise_objection(this);

end

endtask

// Drop the objection in the post_body so the objection is removed when

// the root sequence is complete.

virtual task post_body();