Suggested approach for randomization of delays between transactions

I have to insert random delays between the transactions in the sequence.

From some basic reading that I've done, I felt like the approach to follow is to have a driver's run task similar to this (say no response):

task run();
    forever begin
      seq_item_port.get_next_item(req);
      driveTxn(req);
      seq_item_port.item_done();
      dlyCfg::get_config_int("txnDelay", this.txnDelay);
      repeat (this.txnDelay)
        @(posedge vif.clk);
    end
  endtask : run

If I followed this approach, after every transaction, both driver and sequence access the database. Won't it slow down things? I'm wondering if there's a better approach that's optimal/cleaner. Thanks in advance.

Edited by itsmyturn
formatting the code

Why do you need to use config_db for this? Since its a random delay, you can either use std:randomize to locally randomize it in the run task, or even better - you can add the delay to be part of the transaction. Then you can easily control the delay with constraint given to your transactions/sequences

Why do you need to use config_db for this? Since its a random delay, you can either use std:randomize to locally randomize it in the run task, or even better - you can add the delay to be part of the transaction. Then you can easily control the delay with constraint given to your transactions/sequences

I probably don't want any randomization/intelligence in my driver. But having the delay field as part of transaction sounds like a good way of doing it. I'll try that. Thanks!