how is .read() implemented in systemC

trehalose

hi, everyone! I'm trying to figure out what happens when use .read() to get current value of  a  sc_in<T> instance . I checked the definition of sc_in, I found several related codes:

[sc_signal_ports.h]

// read the current value

const data_type& read() const
    { return (*this)->read(); }

operator const data_type& () const
    { return (*this)->read(); }

It seems the .read() is inherited from parent class?

Then I went to the parent class, sc_port <- sc_port_b <-sc_port_base and eventually to sc_object, but I still cannot find the  .read() routine. So how is .read() implemented in systemC. Can I use access to the value using a point instead of the .read() routine?

Thank you!

I CS terms sc_port is a proxy. Eventually during elaboration all ports being connected to  signal are configured to hold a pointer to the signal. So the read() or write() can be called without knowing anything partuclar of the signal.

sc_in is a typedef to sc_port<sc_signal_in_if<T>>. This means a port can carry any type of interface, not only sc_signal_in_if or sc_signal_inout_if

Oh, thank you! ' ...all ports being connected to  signal are configured to hold a pointer to the signal.' Is that means the port stores a pointer to the signal? 

I'm still curious about where systemC defines read() or write(). 

read() seems to return the value of signal that binds to the port. I need to pass the address of value to a function.  So I tried to take the address of a X.read() by & . It does not work. 

BTW. what does 'I CS' mean?

1 hour ago, trehalose said:

Oh, thank you! ' ...all ports being connected to  signal are configured to hold a pointer to the signal.' Is that means the port stores a pointer to the signal? 

Yes, correct.

1 hour ago, trehalose said:

I'm still curious about where systemC defines read() or write(). 

This is defined in the channel class that is bound to the port - for example, `sc_signal`. From sc_signal.h,

template< class T, sc_writer_policy POL >
class sc_signal_t
  : public    sc_signal_inout_if<T>
  , public    sc_signal_channel
  , protected sc_writer_policy_check<POL>
{
   // ...
public:
    // read the current value
    virtual const T& read() const
	{ return m_cur_val; }
};

As a matter of style, I prefer using the arrow operator ("->") over the dot operator (".") when it comes to invoking interface functions on a port. So, call `in_port->read()`, not `in_port.read()`.

Thank you! I found the definition. I still have a question.  Note the code in sc_signal.h

protected:

// constructor and destructor

sc_signal_t( const char* name_, const T& initial_value_ )
      : base_type( name_ )
      , m_cur_val( initial_value_ )
      , m_new_val( initial_value_ )
    {}

the current value is confined by the ‘protected’ keyword.  So I cannot access it using a & unless modifying the source code?

Actually I'm gong to use AXV instruction to speedup the program. the _mm256_loadu_si256() routine needs to accept a address. Therefore I'm figuring out how to load the value of a sc_in<> class to the routine. 

2 hours ago, trehalose said:

the current value is confined by the ‘protected’ keyword.  So I cannot access it using a & unless modifying the source code?

2 hours ago, trehalose said:

Actually I'm gong to use AXV instruction to speedup the program. the _mm256_loadu_si256() routine needs to accept a address. Therefore I'm figuring out how to load the value of a sc_in<> class to the routine. 

I'm not familiar with AXV (or AVX?) extensions - I looked it up and they seem to be instructions to support SIMD operations - added as extensions to x86 instruction set. To exploit architecture specific instructions, you may very well need to change the SystemC simulator sources - but I don't have the technical background on AVX to comment with authority.

The public `read()` function does return the current value as a const-ref, so you can find out the address.

Thank you! AVX indeed. I made a mistake 🙂

1 hour ago, karthickg said:

The public `read()` function does return the current value as a const-ref, so you can find out the address.

Yes, but if I use & to take the address, it doesn't work cause the current value is a protected member in official systemC.

I'm afraid I might modify the code.  Is it casue side effects if I just get rid of the "protected"?

Just now, trehalose said:

Yes, but if I use & to take the address, it doesn't work cause the current value is a protected member in official systemC.

No - it doesn't matter whether the member is protected or private.

Check with:

#include <iostream>

class A
{
   private:
      int m_current_value{0};
   public:
      int & read() { return m_current_value; }
      void write(int v) { m_current_value = v; }
};

int main()
{
   A a;

std::cout << "Initially (should print 0): " << a.read() << std::endl;
   a.write(42);
   std::cout << "Step 1 (should print 42): " << a.read() << std::endl;

int &val_ref = a.read();
   std::cout << "Step 2 (should print 42): " << val_ref << std::endl;
   val_ref = 100; // Will change m_current_value
   std::cout << "Step 3 (should print 100): " << a.read() << std::endl;

return 0;
}

The only difference in the code above is that `read()` is returning a non-const ref.