Can TLM2 do distributed system

TLM2 is good at SOC(system-on-chip) modeling where all IP blocks(UART, Ethernet, DDR,etc) are in one chip(i.e. one sc_main) that is running the same OS in general.

Can I model a distributed system? e.g. a few computer nodes connected via some fabric(infiniband, or pcie-switch), each node runs its own (different) OS, which means each node will have its own sc_main() in the model.

Put another way, I understand with one sc_main() I can connect all IP blocks to model the SOC via TLM2, can I model multiple nodes that each has its own sc_main() and will boot with its own OS? is it possible?

You can model multiple nodes but all of them have to be in one sc_main (if you use SystemC reference simulator which is single threaded only). The other option: you might build separate simulations and couple them via OS means (e.g. pipes, TCP, ...) and encapulsate this communication into a block having TLM sockets.

Yes I was thinking about using tcp-BSD-sockets to connect multiple sc_mains, "encapulsate this communication into a block having TLM sockets" -- what does this exactly mean, is it something like below:

sc_main1

|

sc_main2 -- TLM2-Memory -- sc_main3

|

Regular Linux process

(main() instead of sc_main())

How can these 3 sc_mains and 1 main to communicate to each other? the sc_main1/sc_main2/sc_main3 can still use TLM to talk to the centered TLM2-memory device via some mutex protection(TLM2-memory is a shared memory for all), however I don't know how to tap a typical main() that is not linked to systemc into TLM2-Memory device, maybe a Unix-domain-socket?

The question really boils down to what's the best way for multiple sc_mains to access shared resource, in the demo above, assuming it's a memory pool used by all. I'm not sure how systemc/tlm handles this scenario yet. How can a systemc-model communicates with another model at a transaction level, e.g. a PCI master(x86) and a PCI slave(ARM graphic card) each runs its own sc_main() but share the same DDR somewhere else(e.g. a PCI DDR card)

...a few computer nodes connected via some fabric(infiniband, or pcie-switch), each node runs its own (different) OS, which means each node will have its own sc_main() in the model.

The implication is not true, multiple `sc_main`s is not strictly necessary. You can still have a single `sc_main` even if there are multiple CPU models (each booting its own OS).

How can these 3 sc_mains and 1 main to communicate to each other? the sc_main1/sc_main2/sc_main3 can still use TLM to talk to the centered TLM2-memory device via some mutex protection(TLM2-memory is a shared memory for all), however I don't know how to tap a typical main() that is not linked to systemc into TLM2-Memory device, maybe a Unix-domain-socket?

An `sc_main` is just a function that is called from `main()` - where the implementation of `main()` is within the SystemC library. If you really want two different `sc_main`, then you also need two different `main()` - meaning you must have two different processes. Then you can use any IPC for communication like Eyck already explained.

You're correct. The part I don't understand from Eyck is "encapsulate this communication into a block having TLM sockets", how can multiple processes talk via TLM sockets? TLM sockets are strictly inside the same single main() process as far as I can tell. A typical BSD-socket() can talk across processes though. How to connect multiple sc_main processes at transaction level(e.g. TLM) is my confusion, as standard unix socket can not do transaction-level communication so I can not use it. Thanks for your answers.

You can create a module having a tlm_target socket which takes the payload and sends it accross a socket to a similar module where you take the data received by the socket and send it across the tlm_initiator socket. This way you encapsulate the socket data transfer into a TLM payload transfer. Eventually this allows you to run a simulation in a single thread/sc_main or distribute it accross several processes with little changes. In the latter case you only have to take care of the time syncronization of the to simulation kernels.

() -- means the whole sc_main() process

[] -- means a block inside sc_main()

-> is the payload flow

so, if I understand correctly,  below shall get multiple-process sc_mains work at transaction level, meanwhile I must make sure all sc_main's timestamps will be in sync. In fact I don't know how to keep timestamp in sync between different sc_mains, I might just as well pull in everything under one sc_main after all.

([sc_main1] -> [tlm_target+bsdsocket()])  ----------->( [bsdsocket() + tlm_initiator] -> [sc_main2])

Thanks a lot for the helps!!