Enabling all warnings while compilation

Saikat

Hi,

I am new to SystemC programming. I started implementing from scratch. My intention is to develop TLM models depicting different processor subsystems.  I have two questions regarding compilation.

1. Can we use gcc or we should use g++ only?

2. I want to enable all the possible warnings for debug purposes. I am using the following switches. I will appreciate if you please comment regarding the switches.

-pedantic -Wall -Wextra -Wcast-align -Wcast-qual -Wctor-dtor-privacy -Wdisabled-optimization -Wformat=2 -Winit-self -Wlogical-op -Wmissing-declarations -Wmissing-include-dirs -Wnoexcept -Wold-style-cast -Woverloaded-virtual -Wredundant-decls -Wshadow -Wsign-conversion -Wsign-promo -Wstrict-null-sentinel -Wstrict-overflow=5 -Wswitch-default -Wundef -Werror -Wno-unused

Thanks in advance.

Best regards

SC

Hello @Saikat,

Regarding your questions.

6 hours ago, Saikat said:

1. Can we use gcc or we should use g++ only?

Since SystemC is written in C++, g++ should be the default.

2. I want to enable all the possible warnings for debug purposes. I am using the following switches. I will appreciate if you please comment regarding the switches.

Regarding compiler warning the ones mentioned in your post:

-pedantic -Wall -Wextra -Wcast-align -Wcast-qual -Wctor-dtor-privacy -Wdisabled-optimization -Wformat=2 -Winit-self -Wlogical-op -Wmissing-declarations -Wmissing-include-dirs -Wnoexcept -Wold-style-cast -Woverloaded-virtual -Wredundant-decls -Wshadow -Wsign-conversion -Wsign-promo -Wstrict-null-sentinel -Wstrict-overflow=5 -Wswitch-default -Wundef -Werror -Wno-unused

Seems a good enough list for now. I would prefer you going through your compiler manual to figure which ones you might need.

But, as my personal preference I usually prefer to build my code with various compilers and on various platforms to get the best possible platforms compatible code.

It is very easy the write a code which might end up being platform/compiler dependent.

Better to stick with standard C++ language compliance to get the most out of your code.

Regards,

Ameya Vikram Singh

6 hours ago, AmeyaVS said:

Hello @Saikat,

Regarding your questions.

Since SystemC is written in C++, g++ should be the default.

Regarding compiler warning the ones mentioned in your post:

Seems a good enough list for now. I would prefer you going through your compiler manual to figure which ones you might need.

But, as my personal preference I usually prefer to build my code with various compilers and on various platforms to get the best possible platforms compatible code.

It is very easy the write a code which might end up being platform/compiler dependent.

Better to stick with standard C++ language compliance to get the most out of your code.

Regards,

Ameya Vikram Singh

Thanks Ameya!! Being from a very different background it helps really as of now.

Be aware that SystemC itself is compiled with g++/clang++ using the following options "-Wall -Wextra -no-unused-parameter -W-no-unused-variable". Any additional warning options might trigger additional warnings inside the SystemC headers. You may therefore point g++ to the headers using "-isystem" instead of "-I".