SystemC grammar

SystemC(/TLM) is not a first-class language on its own. Instead, it is a C++ class library. Therefore, you can find the language definition in the C++ standard itself, see http://isocpp.org/std/the-standard).

That said, you should probably not try to write a C++ parser from scratch. Instead, you may want to look at existing (open-source) parsers, like Clang/LLVM or GCC. There are several projects working on reconstructing the SystemC elements from a C++/SystemC model (SystemC frontends). There has been an overview paper at FDL'2010 about this (Maguet et.al, A Theoretical and Experimental Review of SystemC Front-ends").

Greetings from Oldenburg,

Philipp

Thanks Philipp for your reply. However, working with the whole grammar takes lots of time and I don't want to write a parser for the whole language. I want to parse just a SystemC/TLM program. I've seen several tools that work with gcc to parse a SystemC/TLM program, but I could not find the grammar that they use (maybe they are using a C++ grammar). Do you know any reference or resource for just the SystemC/TLM part?

Thank you,

Reza

Hmm, how would the grammar of "just a SystemC/TLM program" be simpler than parsing plain C++? I'd say that if you indeed would want to define a specific grammar for SystemC/TLM programs, this would be way more complex instead. IMHO, any (decent) SystemC/TLM language frontend needs to contain (or be based on) a plain C++ frontend.

For detailed references to existing projects, you should check the references in the survey paper I mentioned.

Greetings from Oldenburg,

Philipp