How to fix 'undefined reference to ... SC_DISABLE_VIRTUAL_BIND_UNDEFINED_'?

DavidA

Hi,

I am building a SystemC application on Centos 7 using gcc 7.3.1 (devtoolset-7).

Linkage of my application fails with error:

main.cpp:(.text.startup+0x2e): undefined reference to `sc_core::sc_api_version_2_3_3_cxx201402L<&sc_core::SC_DISABLE_VIRTUAL_BIND_UNDEFINED_>
::sc_api_version_2_3_3_cxx201402L(sc_core::sc_writer_policy)'

I can see that this error has been discussed in other forum topics and is caused by a mismatch of the C++ Standard. Therefore, I have checked that I am building both SystemC and the application using C++14. But I still see the error.

I build SystemC 2.3.3 as follows:

$ cmake -DCMAKE_CXX_STANDARD=14 -DBUILD_SHARED_LIBS=OFF ..

and the link command for the application is:

$ /opt/rh/devtoolset-7/root/usr/bin/g++ -O3 -DNDEBUG -Wl,--export-dynamic -rdynamic CMakeFiles/zodiac.
dir/Kernel/main.cpp.o -o zodiac -Wl,-whole-archive /data/daldrich/systemc-2.3.3/systemc-2.3.3/build/systemc-2.3.3-install/lib64/libsystemc
.a -Wl,--no-whole-archive,--as-needed -Wl,--whole-archive,--export-dynamic Kernel/libKernel.a -Wl,--no-whole-archive -ldl -pthread

Here is the full error message:

CMakeFiles/zodiac.dir/Kernel/main.cpp.o: In function `_GLOBAL__sub_I_sc_main':
main.cpp:(.text.startup+0x2e): undefined reference to `sc_core::sc_api_version_2_3_3_cxx201402L<&sc_core::SC_DISABLE_VIRTUAL_BIND_UNDEFINED_>
::sc_api_version_2_3_3_cxx201402L(sc_core::sc_writer_policy)'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status

What am I doing wrong?

Best regards, David

Sorry, I didn't show the application compile command:

/opt/rh/devtoolset-7/root/usr/bin/g++ -DSYSTEMC -Dzodiac_EXPORTS -I../../Kernel -I/data/daldrich/systemc-2.3.3/systemc-2.3.3/src -O3 -
DNDEBUG -Wall -pedantic -pthread -std=c++14 -MD -MT CMakeFiles/zodiac.dir/Kernel/main.cpp.o -MF CMakeFiles/zodiac.dir/Kernel/main.cpp.o.d -
o CMakeFiles/zodiac.dir/Kernel/main.cpp.o -c ../../Kernel/main.cpp

So I do specify "-std=c++14" there.

And the link command repeated from original post:

/opt/rh/devtoolset-7/root/usr/bin/g++ -O3 -DNDEBUG -Wl,--export-dynamic -rdynamic CMakeFiles/zodiac.dir/Kernel/main.cpp.o -o zo
diac -Wl,-whole-archive,-export-dynamic,-no-as-needed /data/daldrich/systemc-2.3.3/systemc-2.3.3/build/systemc-2.3.3-install/lib64/libsyste
mc.a -Wl,--no-whole-archive,--as-needed -Wl,--whole-archive,--export-dynamic Kernel/libKernel.a -Wl,--no-whole-archive -ldl -pthread

(I am assuming that "-std=c++14" isn't needed in the link command).

I am using a static library. Here is the output:

$ nm -C /data/daldrich/systemc-2.3.3/systemc-2.3.3/build/systemc-2.3.3-install/lib64/libsystemc.a | grep
sc_api_version
0000000000000690 T sc_core::
sc_api_version_2_3_3_cxx201103L<&sc_core::SC_DISABLE_VIRTUAL_BIND_UNDEFINED_>::sc_api_version_2_3_3_cxx201103L(sc
_core::sc_writer_policy)
0000000000000690 T sc_core::
sc_api_version_2_3_3_cxx201103L<&sc_core::SC_DISABLE_VIRTUAL_BIND_UNDEFINED_>::sc_api_version_2_3_3_cxx201103L(sc
_core::sc_writer_policy)
0000000000000030 b sc_core::
_core::sc_writer_policy)::default_writer_policy_config
0000000000000040 b sc_core::
_core::sc_writer_policy)::default_writer_policy_config_seen

I fixed this by specifying the devtoolset-7 g++ compiler to CMake:

$ cmake -DBUILD_SHARED_LIBS=OFF -DCMAKE_CXX_STANDARD=14 -DCMAKE_CXX_COMPILER=/opt/rh/devtoolset-7/root/usr/bin/g++ ..

The problem was caused by CMake using the default Centos 7 g++ compiler (v.4.8.5) which presumably doesn't support C++14.