interested in knowing IPXACT

mohitnegi

Hello ,

Well i write systemC model for IP and was going through IPXACT

i have a few basic questions related to it :

- what is exactly IPXACT ?? i have read a few articles about it which got me more confused  with xml files an all

I wish to know what exactly IPXACT does ??? Why it is used ?? What are its application ??

- Can it be usefull in systemC modelllng ??

- Is IPXACT similar to GREENSOC ???

• 1 month later...

Hello,

IP-XACT is an IEEE standard to enable IP reuse and to enable tool flows to easily work with IP. You can get a free copy of the standard using the link on http://www.accellera.org/downloads/ieee/. The standard provides two things. First it provides XML schemas that allow you to describe IP blocks; you can think of this as an electronic datasheet of an IP block. The XML schemas also allow you to describe designs in terms of IP block instances and interconnect between these instances. The information in the XML documents adhering to these XML schemas is called metadata. Second, the standard provides a tool interface called TGI (Tight Generator Interface) that allows you to work with this metadata. EDA vendor IP-XACT tools are able to load IP-XACT XML documents and you can access the metadata in the internal databases of these tools using TGI without the need to do all the XML parsing yourself.

IP-XACT can be useful in SystemC modeling. You can package SystemC IP, i.e., create an IP-XACT component XML document for a SystemC IP. This IP-XACT component can then be used in several ways, for instance:

1. Integration, i.e., instantiate the IP-XACT component in an IP-XACT design and generate a SystemC netlist from the IP-XACT design.
  2. Modeling, i.e., use the IP-XACT component with its register description to generate a skeleton SystemC IP implementation with for instance TLM2 interfaces and SCML registers.
  3. Verification, i.e., use the IP-XACT component with its register description to generate a UVM register model for a test bench.
  4. Documentation, i.e., generate a paper datasheet from the IP-XACT component.

IP-XACT is not similar to GREENSOC.

Best regards,

Erwin

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

IP-XACT is an IEEE standard to enable IP reuse and to enable tool flows to easily work with IP. You can get a free copy of the standard using the link on http://www.accellera.org/downloads/ieee/. The standard provides two things. First it provides XML schemas that allow you to describe IP blocks; you can think of this as an electronic datasheet of an IP block. The XML schemas also allow you to describe designs in terms of IP block instances and interconnect between these instances. The information in the XML documents adhering to these XML schemas is called metadata. Second, the standard provides a tool interface called TGI (Tight Generator Interface) that allows you to work with this metadata. EDA vendor IP-XACT tools are able to load IP-XACT XML documents and you can access the metadata in the internal databases of these tools using TGI without the need to do all the XML parsing yourself.

IP-XACT can be useful in SystemC modeling. You can package SystemC IP, i.e., create an IP-XACT component XML document for a SystemC IP. This IP-XACT component can then be used in several ways, for instance:

1. Integration, i.e., instantiate the IP-XACT component in an IP-XACT design and generate a SystemC netlist from the IP-XACT design.
  2. Modeling, i.e., use the IP-XACT component with its register description to generate a skeleton SystemC IP implementation with for instance TLM2 interfaces and SCML registers.
  3. Verification, i.e., use the IP-XACT component with its register description to generate a UVM register model for a test bench.
  4. Documentation, i.e., generate a paper datasheet from the IP-XACT component.

IP-XACT is not similar to GREENSOC.

Best regards,

Erwin

Hell Erwin ,

Thanks for your response ...

I wish to know what do you mean by systemC netlist  ?? and do we have to use synthesizable systemC for this ??

And do we require a tool for this ???

Hi,

With SystemC netlist, I mean a structure of component instances and connections between these instances (TLM bindings and/or sc_signal bindings). I realize the term netlist is overloaded. In the IP-XACT community netlisting is often used as generating a structural description of component instances and connections. This can be in any language (SystemC, VHDL, Verilog). The components are typically IP blocks rather than gates. Most of the commercial EDA tools provide IP-XACT netlisters, i.e., tools that generate a netlist from an IP-XACT design.

Best regards,

Erwin