SCV (SystemC Verification Library)

sonalidutta

Dear Alan,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I want to use SCV to call a callback function f() whenever any member variable of an object "a" of class A will be written a new value. Also f() will use the object "a" inside it.

My guess is that I can take any of the following two approaches:

Approach 1.

- define SCV_EXTENSIONS(A).

- instantiate a as:   scv_smart_ptr<A> a;

- define callback function f() as:  

void f(scv_extensions_if& a_ext, scv_extensions_if::callback_reason r) {

if ( r == scv_extensions_if::VALUE_CHANGE) { //Use a_ext to do some operation

}

- register callback f() to a as    a->register_cb(f)

My question here is:

1. How can I get a from a_ext? I need the object of type A or something similar inside f().

Approach 2:

- define each member variables "v" of A as scv_smart_ptr.

- register callback f() with each of them in the constructor of A. The manual has an example on Page 46.

My question here is:

1. I like this approach better. But is there any way to get hold of object "a" inside callback f(). The object which is passed to it is a->v, not a. I need a.

Does it mean I need to use approach 1? Or is there any other way?

Thanks

Sonali

Here is a few general questions about the limitations SCV might have:

1. Hierarchical Types:

To use scv_smart_ptr of class A, I need to define SCV_EXTENSIONS(A). Now suppose, class A is a subclass of class B.

For example:

class B{

public:

int attB1;

protected:

int attB2;

};

class A: public class B{

public:

int attA1;

private:

std::string attA2;

};

Now how do I define SCV_EXTENSIONS(A)? Does SCV support this? Do I need to define SCV_EXTENSIONS( B ) too?

2. C++ library types: std::vector, std::list, std::map ...

SCV has already defined SCV_EXTENSIONS template class for C++ built-in types like int, float etc and also some systemC built-in types. That means we can create variables of type scv_smart_ptr<int> or scv_smart_ptr<float> etc.

But can I create variable of type scv_smart_ptr<std::map> or scv_smart_ptr<std::list> or scv_smart_ptr<std::vector> etc? Is SCV_EXTENSIONS template class already defined for them or do I need to define it as I did for class A?

Thanks

Sonali

For your first question, you should be able to access the underlying object using methods of the scv_smart_ptr such as print() and read(). E.g.

a_ext.print()

cout << a_ext.read() << endl;

Regarding derived classes, yes you can do it. I think you have to extend both classes, then use the SCV_EXTENSIONS_BASE_CLASS(base_type_name) macro to indicate in the derived class that the base class is extended.

I don't know about your last question (using std::vector).

regards

Alan

Dear Alan,

Thanks for you reply. I would like to see some example how to use SCV_EXTENSIONS_BASE_CLASS macro. The scv package or the manual doe not have any example.

Also I want to do the following:

1. Define a base class A.

2. Define two classes B, C derived from A.

3. I want to track the value changes of the member variables of class B and C. - So I need to define scv_extensions for them.

4. Now I want to use polymorphism: use base class point A* to point derived class objects new B() and new C(). Also I want to define function f(A* a) that actually receives objects of type B and C and determines in the runtime what kind of object it is. It finally does type cast on a as: (B*)a or (C*)a to use methods defined in B or C.

I wonder if this kind of polymorphism is doable with scv_smart_pointer<A>, scv_smart_pointer<B> , scv_smart_pointer<C>. It will be really helpful if I can see some example about the syntax and everything. The manual really doe snot show anything. I also have gone through all the example programs scv package provides.

Can you let me know whom I can talk to regarding this in the developer's group?

Regards

Sonali