[cygwin64] link error when including tlm

Fabien Dupont

Hi everyone,

I know cygwin is a bit of an "exotic" configuration for playing with systemc, but Visual Studio is out of reach for me, so I hope you will help me. I have had such a config working a few months ago, but must rebuild one due to a machine change. I knw it can work ! :)

I have compiled systemc PoC from source under cygwin64 using g++11.2 (and also 7.4 as part of my debug trials). "make check" goes fine, every tests are passed

When building a simple "hello world" program, everything goes well, as long as <tlm> header is not involved.

When <tlm> is included, I get the following error :

/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-cygwin/11/../../../../x86_64-pc-cygwin/bin/ld: /tmp/ccS0Rolf.o:trial.cpp:(.text+0x2e3): undefined reference to `tlm::tlm_extension_base::register_extension(std::type_info const&)'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status

Sample code :

#include <tlm> // comment this to have build ok
#include <systemc>

int sc_main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
    return 0;
}

Configure :

../configure --enable-pthreads --with-arch_suffix=

build command:

g++ -I/cygdrive/d/c_cpp/systemc-2.3.3/include -L/cygdrive/d/c_cpp/systemc-2.3.3/lib -lsystemc trial.cpp

I have tried different c++ (both for building systemc lib and my application) to no avail. I have tried retro-grading to systemc 2.3.2, same results. 

FYI, the undefined reference is used for initialization of const static member of a templated class, file tlm_core/tlm_2/tlm_generic_payload/tlm_gp.h line 73 to 85:

template <typename T>
class tlm_extension : public tlm_extension_base
{
public:
    virtual tlm_extension_base* clone() const = 0;
    virtual void copy_from(tlm_extension_base const &ext) = 0;
    virtual ~tlm_extension() {}
    const static unsigned int ID;
};

template <typename T>
const unsigned int tlm_extension<T>::ID
  = tlm_extension_base::register_extension(typeid(T));

The function is correctly implemented in tlm_gp.cpp.

Has anyone already faced the issue ? I guess I missed something since I had it working a few months ago.

Thanks in advance for your help !

Is there any universal law that says that you have to find the answer to your problem AFTER you asked some help ? Especially when the answer is as simple as :

replace

g++ -I/cygdrive/d/c_cpp/systemc-2.3.3/include -L/cygdrive/d/c_cpp/systemc-2.3.3/lib -lsystemc trial.cpp

by :

g++ trial.cpp -I/cygdrive/d/c_cpp/systemc-2.3.3/include -L/cygdrive/d/c_cpp/systemc-2.3.3/lib -lsystemc

You can laugh at me now.

Can someone explain me, though ?

Thanks and sorry.