SystemC-2.3.3 compile warning on VS2017 "Unknown compiler version - please run the configure tests and report the results"

Gene

When I using "SystemC-2.3.3" for hardware cycle level modeling, all things works well on vs2012. but when I update to vs2017, the vs2017 reports warning:

1>sc_simcontext.cpp
1>Unknown compiler version - please run the configure tests and report the results

and some other files reports these warn too(all my design file which includes "systemc.h" report this error), and I have been searched from google for several days, and this problem seems resolved, on boost building, but I still can't understand the measure from following resolved question:

Visual Studio - "Unknown Compiler version" after upgrading

I'm still stucking here now, and I don't want to roll back to vs2012. any suggestion? thanks

The SystemC PoC implementation includes a subset of the Boost libraries. The stackoverflow question, you found, points clearly out the source of the error (`visualc.hpp`). In the SystemC PoC implementation, this header is located in `src/sysc/packages/boost/config/compiler/`. At the end of that file, it is stated that the "last known and checked version is 19.16.27032.1 (VC++ 2017, Update 9)". Your version of Visual Studio is probably newer and therefore, you receive this warning. Until the Boost version packaged with SystemC is updated, you can either live with it or patch the responsible header to not print the message. In fact, Boost has itself commented out the warning in the header since March 2018, as they were not anymore able to keep up with the pace of Visual Studio releases.

I will report the issue to the Language Working Group so that this can be addressed in the next release.

On 11/24/2021 at 5:10 PM, maehne said:

The SystemC PoC implementation includes a subset of the Boost libraries. The stackoverflow question, you found, points clearly out the source of the error (`visualc.hpp`). In the SystemC PoC implementation, this header is located in `src/sysc/packages/boost/config/compiler/`. At the end of that file, it is stated that the "last known and checked version is 19.16.27032.1 (VC++ 2017, Update 9)". Your version of Visual Studio is probably newer and therefore, you receive this warning. Until the Boost version packaged with SystemC is updated, you can either live with it or patch the responsible header to not print the message. In fact, Boost has itself commented out the warning in the header since March 2018, as they were not anymore able to keep up with the pace of Visual Studio releases.

I will report the issue to the Language Working Group so that this can be addressed in the next release.

Hi maehne,

RESOLVED!

thanks for typing the answer, I have used "find -name visualc.hpp" in my project directory, but no response, there must be some error typing in my search, which makes me confused about the file file location mentioned in the "stackoverflow" link. 

seems this is a naive question, New Knowledge Get (SystemC uses subset of boost libraries) anyway thanks again for making it clear.  🙂

Hi maehne @maehne 

One more question wanna to ask:

when I just hack the header file to not print the warning, but I found my systemC design compiles much slower in VS2017 than I compile it in VS2012. seems each systemC design file takes longer than before (the pure c++ file seems normal). have you ever been through these? 

Thanks!

Sorry, but I have used Visual Studio only a few times (to check whether my CMake build files yielded correct project files for Visual Studio). So, I don't have any experience regarding its compilation performance accross multiple versions of Visual Studio.

On 11/30/2021 at 6:59 AM, Gene said:

Hi maehne @maehne 

One more question wanna to ask:

when I just hack the header file to not print the warning, but I found my systemC design compiles much slower in VS2017 than I compile it in VS2012. seems each systemC design file takes longer than before (the pure c++ file seems normal). have you ever been through these? 

Thanks!

This may have multiple causes. E.g. are you using exactly the same setup for VS2017 w.r.t. sequential/parallel compilation and other options? Are you using the same number of cores while compiling? Are the files locally available or are they retrieved over a network connection? Are you rendering video while compiling SystemC 😉 etc. etc.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the check points, 

1. the VS project properties are exactly the same.

2. Yes, all CPU cores are used for compiling, and I have tried several machines.

3. of course all of the project files are locally for develop

4. No, the VS is the only user load of course.

recent weeks I have heavy load on my work, so the compile slow problem is ignored for now. (but any suggestion are welcome, )

many thanks!