Use of callback before_end_of_elaboration

Mengyu

Hi,

I have a question about how to use the callback before_end_of_elaboration.

For example, I have a top module and a submodule. The submodule takes an input "a" and I would like to use this input to initialize an vector in its constructor.

SC_MODULE(sub_module) {

sc_in<sc_uint<10> >                                             a;

sc_vector<sc_signal<sc_uint<4> > >                  b;

SC_CTOR(sub_module) {

b.init(a);

}

};

SC_MODULE(top) {

sub_module                                                       *sub_module_nm;

SC_CTOR(top) {

sub_module_nm = new sub_module("sub_module_nm");

sub_module_nm->a(...);

}

}

As you can see, I perforemed the port binding in the top module(which is what I usually do). But from my understanding, I can not access to input "a" unless I perform the port binding in the before_end_of_elaboration() callback of submodule. And my question is how to do the port binding in the submodule rather than at top level so I could perform some initialization after the port has been bound.

Thanks,

Mengyu

As I understood you want to read value from port during elaboration process?  

This is not how ports are supposed to be used. They are simulation-time mechanism.  If you want to initialize a vector with some value, why don't you just pass it as a constructor parameter?

sub_module(::sc_core::sc_module_name, int  a ) {
        b.init(a);        
    }

Hi Roman,

Thanks for your reply.

Now I'm little confused by the elaboration and simulation process. Actually I'm trying to initialize the sc_vector with a value that is calculated during simulation-time, is this allowed in SystemC? 

From your reply, it seems that the initialization of sc_vector can only happen at elaboration process.

No, changing the structure of design is not possible after elaboration. You can't create signals, ports and modules during simulation.  But you can spawn new processes, this is commonly used in verification environments, to model different streams of test stimulus.

Thanks Roman, a similar question:

When exactly the elaboration and simulation process starts in SystemC? From my understanding, the elaboration starts when I instantiate the top module in sc_main and simulation starts when I call "sc_start" function.

I failed to find the answer in SystemC IEEE_1666 stardard reference manual, could you please give me some hints?

In a current implementation sc_start() finishes elaboration and starts simulation. You can look into source code for details. But at very high level you can think of sc_start like this:

void sc_start() {
	finish_elaboration(); // complete binding, call before_end_of_elaboration
	start_simulation();   // start scheduler
}

I recommend to run sc_start() in debugger step-by-step to understand what happens inside.