Weird location of systemc.pc

wallento

Hi all,

as a happy user of pkgconfig I am a bit confused by the location of systemc.pc in the reference implementation. Having it in an architecture-specific folder is kind of weird for such a file.

Unfortunately I cannot find the proper way to contribute code, so here we are:

--- systemc-2.3.1.orig/src/sysc/Makefile.am    2015-05-14 17:06:12.562693977 +0200
+++ systemc-2.3.1/src/sysc/Makefile.am    2015-05-14 17:07:01.209118579 +0200
@@ -56,7 +56,7 @@
 libarchdir = $(libdir)$(LIB_ARCH_SUFFIX)
 libarch_LTLIBRARIES = libsystemc.la

-pkgconfigdir = $(libarchdir)/pkgconfig
+pkgconfigdir = $(datadir)/pkgconfig
 pkgconfig_DATA = systemc.pc

libsystemc_la_SOURCES =

This makes much more sense in my opinion. Needs autoreconf -i  of course..

Best,
Stefan

Hi Stefan,

thanks for your suggestion. The current choice is based on the practice to put arch-dependent .pc files to a pkgconfig subdirectory of the library dir (e.g. /usr/lib/pkgconfig). The correct location for your system may depend on the locally configured PKG_CONFIG_PATH, of course (quoting http://people.freedesktop.org/~dbn/pkg-config-guide.html, emphasis mine):

The message above references the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable. This variable is used to augment pkg-config's search path. On a typical Unix system, it will search in the directories /usr/lib/pkgconfig and /usr/share/pkgconfig.

Secondly, SystemC supports the installation for multiple target architectures to a single filesystem (via --with-arch-suffix or the classical installation layout). For this to work, it is required to put the generated systemc.pc files to arch-dependent locations.

It should be possible to move the systemc.pc file to a location more suitable to your needs after the installation process of SystemC itself.

Greetings from Duisburg,

Philipp