"seed_monitor_on()" globally changes handling of severity Error by use of "set_actions()"

My SystemC-Code is using messages of severity "Error" to intentionally throw exceptions. Suddenly I realize that no longer exceptions are thrown. Analyzing this issue, I targeted the function in my code "scv_random::seed_monitor_on(true, "../../Source/seedfile.txt");" to be the cause of this. For my current scenario I screwed up the path to the "seedfile.txt" which results in an error in "seed_monitor_on()". In this "seed_monitor_on()" calls the following:
  cannot_open_seed_file() -> message() -> set_actions(SCV_ERROR,SCV_LOG|SCV_DISPLAY|SCV_CACHE_REPORT)

Conclusion at it seems to me: In case of a file not found "seed_monitor_on()" removes throwing off exception ("SC_THROW") in ALL(!) cases of messages with severity "Error". I would consider this to be an unwanted global side effect and probably a bug. Or?

Dear Frank,

Thanks for reporting this issue! I have reported your issue to the SystemC Verification Working Group. I agree with you that scv_message should not tamper with the default actions for error/fatal messages. I checked the SCV code base by following your track. The actual setting of the default actions happens at the first call to _scv_message::setup() in src/scv/scv_report.cpp lines 96 and 97. By removing these two lines and recompiling/reinstalling SCV, you should be able to fix this issue.

Best regards,

Torsten Maehne

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not sure if I should have opened another topic. Decided to continue here.

It seems that this type of "tampering with default actions" is more deeply distributed throughout SCV. My testcases intentionally (at least I accept it) trigger an scv_random_error -> "RANDOM_OUT_OF_ORDER_SEED".  This ends up in a call to _scv_message::setup() where I find in line scv_report.cpp::97 the following: scv_report_handler::set_actions(SCV_FATAL,SCV_LOG|SCV_DISPLAY|SCV_CACHE_REPORT);

Once again the default behavior is changed and I'm wondering here why my fatal messages do not end the simulation as expected.

• 1 month later...
On 1.9.2017 at 9:03 AM, Frank Poppen said:

Not sure if I should have opened another topic. Decided to continue here.

It seems that this type of "tampering with default actions" is more deeply distributed throughout SCV. My testcases intentionally (at least I accept it) trigger an scv_random_error -> "RANDOM_OUT_OF_ORDER_SEED".  This ends up in a call to _scv_message::setup() where I find in line scv_report.cpp::97 the following: scv_report_handler::set_actions(SCV_FATAL,SCV_LOG|SCV_DISPLAY|SCV_CACHE_REPORT);

Once again the default behavior is changed and I'm wondering here why my fatal messages do not end the simulation as expected.

Sorry for the late reply! I just saw that this post now. The lines containing scv_report_handler::set_actions(...) in the _scv_message::setup() member function implemented in scv_report.cpp were removed by @StS as suggested in my post from 2017-08-08. So you just stumbled again over the same issue.