What is the efficiency of SC_THREAD?

katang

What is exactly the  relation and the efficiency of SC_THREAD, SC_METHOD and system thread? I am making a simulator, where both the exact timing and the execution speed counts. I addition, I might need a separate Qt5 GUI thread. What are the means either in Qt5 or SystemC to support those synchronization requirements?

This question cannot be answered with respect to the SystemC standard as the issue is heavily implementation dependent. I am aware of implementations where SC_THREAD is faster than SC_METHOD and visa versa. It is also not a good basis for evaluating SystemC itself since the issue of simulation performance almost always comes down to how SystemC was used and how the modeler wrote their SystemC model. I do know an awful lot of folks use SystemC inappropriately (e.g. using it for modeling RTL, where VHDL or SystemVerilog are much better suited). IEEE 1666-2011 calls out the desired behavior, and not the implementation.

Note: I did a presentation on SystemC myths many years ago at NASCUG that included the myth about whether or not one should favor SC_METHOD over SC_THREAD for performance reasons. It is quite simply a poor way of making a decision when attempting to obtain performance.