Sign in to follow this  
tudor.timi

Parameterization to allow reuse of complex scheduling scenarios

I can imagine the need to be able to reuse complicated scheduling schemes, that are more involved than just sequential/parallel/schedule blocks. This would be done with scheduling constraints on a set of actions, where the action types are irrelevant. I didn't notice any any_action type in the DSL or the possibility to pass action references. How would this be achieved?

Even if there were an any_action type and the possibility to pass action references, there might still be more involved use cases where not the types of the actions matter, but some fields that they provide need to be referenced. Multiple inheritance or generic extends (that can be used as decorators) aren't possible as far as I could see, but this could be solved via parameterization (similar to how one could do it in SystemVerilog. The standard doesn't provide this either.

Such generic programming building blocks would be required to build an ecosystem of reusable libraries for various repetitive tasks.

From PSWG:

The WG has discussed a parameterization proposal that would enable exactly the type of generic activity or scheduling that you describe. While there are details left to work out on the parameterization proposal, there is general agreement in the WG that parameterization is useful. The Mantis item is 5929.