action test {
    activity {
      do write1;
      do read;
    }
  }
}

The description states that

[the] PSS processing tool needs to schedule another action of type write2 at some point prior to rd, whose mem_obj is bound to rd’s input.

Do tools start to introduce actions just to be able to satisfy preconditions?  Do I just specify "do this" and the tool figures out how to get there? If so, this is a really cool feature, which isn't immediately obvious from the PSS document or from the DVCon Europe tutorial I went to. I would insist on it and give it a prominent place in the specification. The Brekker motto of "beginning with the end in mind" comes to mind here.

The follow-up question is, can a tool generate all possible ways to get to a certain outcome?

From PSWG:

Indeed, the language is designed in a way that enables automatic insertion of action to complete partially specified scenario flows. You are right in observing that this is not stressed or illustrated enough in the EA version, and we are working to expand on this topic (Mantis issue #6333).  I would say that the moto here is more – focus on the pure test intent, and abstract from the means to achieve it. It’s not just “begin with the end in mind”, but more generally “capture the end and not the means”.
W.r.t. the follow-up question, there is no general meaning in PSS to the term ‘all possible ways’. There can be different bring-up sequences leading to some desired behavior, different schedules, different resource assignments, different parameter values, etc. The space for ‘all possible ways’ without further qualification is not well defined, and not bounded. All of these different aspects of the scenario can be explicitly constrained. Tools may provide means to exhaustively cover all combinations for a specific property of a scenario, or some coverage goal.