SCBuilder SystemC IDE

Hans64

Hi all,

I have written a simple Windows SystemC IDE called SCBuilder.

http://www.ht-lab.com/scbuilder.htm

The basic idea is to have a dedicated SystemC IDE which allows the user to create SystemC/SCV/UVM programs with a minimum of fuss. The user can simply drag and drop files into a project and compile/debug/run the program with a click of a button (thanks to the power of CMake). Other features are a build-in VCD viewer and Tcl scripting capability. The compiler is based on the latest tdm-gcc (gcc 5.1.0). Upcoming features are (basic) synthesis and code coverage,

I would appreciate any feedback on this alpha version,

Thanks,
Hans.
www.ht-lab.com

I think majority of SystemC users work on Linux, because most of commercial simulators (VCS, Incisive) have no Windows versions. So Linux version is required.

But, to be honest, I don't see much value in dedicated SystemC IDE.  Existing C++ IDEs, like Visual Studio (with Resharper C++ plugin) already work very well with SystemC. So instead I would prefer a SystemC-aware plugin for Visual Studio, with some static checks capabilities, like detecting unbind ports, infinite loops without wait(), etc.

I think majority of SystemC users work on Linux, because most of commercial simulators (VCS, Incisive) have no Windows versions. So Linux version is required.

I agree, however I wouldn't underestimate the number of Windows SystemC users. I did do a quick port to Linux (CentOS7) but after some strange build issues I shelved it and will look at it again at a later date. 

But, to be honest, I don't see much value in dedicated SystemC IDE.  Existing C++ IDEs, like Visual Studio (with Resharper C++ plugin) already work very well with SystemC.

I like Visual Studio as well and use it to build SCBuilder. However, SCBuilder is more aiming to be like a light version of Vivado, it is unlikely somebody will write a Tcl engine or add synthesize capability in a Visual Studio plugin.

So instead I would prefer a SystemC-aware plugin for Visual Studio, with some static checks capabilities, like detecting unbind ports, infinite loops without wait(), etc.

These are all good point and a static linting tool is on my todo list.

Some other feedback I received from the website, the download file is too large. yes, and I am afraid it is only getting larger. I could make installing TDM-GCC-32 and the libraries optional but this will add complications for the GUI. Make source code available, perhaps in the future. Printing is not working, confirmed. "IC button" not working, this is part of the synthesis capability which I will hopefully add this weekend. Word selection is not working, it took me some time to understand this, confirmed. User configurable shortcuts, on my todo list, Crashes frequently on Win8, I do not have access to Win8 but on Win7/10 it seems stable. Linux version in source, perhaps in the future. Emacs editor plugin, perhaps in the future.

Thanks for the feedback,

Hans

www.ht-lab.com

• 6 months later...