Modules with optional (configurable) ports

Roman Popov

Hello, I'm working on reusable primitives for synthesizable SystemC (like bus transactors, FIFOs, arithmetic units).  Sometimes I need to make some ports optional, for example "number of items" signal in FIFO:

struct async_fifo: public sc_module {
sc_out <sc_uint<BITS_FIFO_DEPTH> >  num_items; // optional port

What is the best known method to do this?

Macros do not work, because they do not allow to make instances with different configurations:

#ifdef EN_NUM_ITEMS
     sc_out <sc_uint<BITS_FIFO_DEPTH> >  num_items; // if EN_NUM_ITEMS is defined, all instances will have this port

Probably someone has an efficient solution using template specialization?  I have not figured it out how to do it without a lot of copy-paste code in specializations.

The solution I currently use is the dynamic allocation of ports in constructors, depending on template parameters:

sc_out <sc_uint<BITS_FIFO_DEPTH> >  *num_items; // pointer to port

SC_CTOR(async_fifo) {

if (en_num_items)  num_items = new sc_out<sc_uint<BITS_FIFO_DEPTH> > ("num_items");
else num_items = NULL;
}

The drawback is that you will always have those null pointers shown in IDE auto-completion assistance. 

Dear Roman,

How about sc_vector?

IEEE 1666-2011 SystemC LRM Section 8.5

Greetings

Ralph

yes, sc_vector is a solution similar to port pointer.  You will still have hanging empty sc_vectors, the same as with null pointers. But yes, sc_vectors and pointers are possible solutions. 

Unfortunately, sc_vectors are not yet supported by SystemC synthesis tools.  At least by those that I've tried. 

AFAIK, using ports with an "optional" port policy (SC_ZERO_OR_MORE_BOUND) is not well supported by synthesis tools either.
But you can try inheriting structs with the port declarations depending on some template parameters (entirely untested):

template<bool HasMorePorts = true>
struct async_fifo_optional_ports {
  sc_out<sc_uint<BITS_FIFO_DEPTH> > num_items;
protected:
  void drive_num_items(const sc_uint<BITS_FIFO_DEPTH>& v) {
    num_items->write(v);
  }
};

template<> struct async_fifo_optional_ports<false> {
protected:
  void drive_num_items(const sc_uint<BITS_FIFO_DEPTH>&) {
    /* empty */
  }
};

template< bool HasMorePorts >
SC_MODULE( async_fifo )
  , public async_fifo_optional_ports<HasMorePorts>
{
  // ...
};

hth,
  Philipp

AFAIK, using ports with an "optional" port policy (SC_ZERO_OR_MORE_BOUND) is not well supported by synthesis tools either.

But you can try inheriting structs with the port declarations depending on some template parameters (entirely untested):

Thanks Philipp, I think it may work actually. Will reply back when I test it.