Alternative to Questa

Is there a good alternative to Questa? I am asking because I find the stability and GUI of Questa to stand in the way for an effective software development workflow. Is there a simulator with proper project management for example, i.e something that actually can keep track of unsaved files and knows how to build, load and run (or debug) the project with a single key or mouse click, and can bind breakpoints to the source (and not to the binaries as Questa does)? In short: are you using a workbench for uvm development that you are happy with and would recommend to others?

Regards,

Erling

Amiq's DVT Eclipse editor is a very good project management tool for SV and e projects. It does syntax and logical checking as you type and can do all the funky auto-completion stuff like suggesting method or field names in classes, structs etc.

It also has an "external builder" option which I guess could be used to launch any simulator's compile commands.

As for debugging, I don't understand your comment about binding breakpoints to the binaries. In Cadence's SimVision debug environment you set breakpoints against the source, and you get a warning if the source code was changed since you last compiled.

You can even open up an external editor direct from SimVision, edit, then rebuild the simulation and re-run without exiting the GUI, which is pretty convenient.

Amiq's DVT Eclipse editor is a very good project management tool for SV and e projects. It does syntax and logical checking as you type and can do all the funky auto-completion stuff like suggesting method or field names in classes, structs etc.

It also has an "external builder" option which I guess could be used to launch any simulator's compile commands

I'll have a look at DVT. This "external builder" option, is that command line interfacing only, or does it enable more advanced features like remote debugging, for example?

As for debugging, I don't understand your comment about binding breakpoints to the binaries. ...

I meant that, in Questa, the default is to delete breakpoints when exiting simulation, i.e breakpoints exists only if there is a binary to bind them to. Consider a typical work loop: you run to a breakpoint, then add new breakpoints and remove others, single step, examine data etc, and you do these operations over and over with source edits between re-runs. When you're finished editing, what if you could just hit a key or click a toolbar button to build the project and run to the first breakpoint? This seems not possible with Questa. It does not keep track of unsaved work in the project, and it wipes breakpoints out of the source when exiting simulation (it should have been the other way around in my opinion, keeping breakpoints should be automatic, deleting should be manual).

Regards,

Erling