SystemC 2.3 Pretty-Printer

aheimberger

Hey Guys,

I don't know if you know about GDB Pretty-Printer. GDB Pretty-Print let you print your debug output in a legible way. I tried to write the Pretty-Printers analyzing the SystemC 2.3 implementation and I was learning how the information is stored within the SystemC implementation. You will find the Pretty-Printer under following link. 

https://github.com/AHeimberger/SystemC-2.3-Pretty-Printer

On Github you will find instructions about installing the Pretty-Printer and a verification python file. Hope this Pretty-Printer helps you and does not cause to many problems. I were also able to use them within Eclipse.

Cheers Andy

post-1946-0-80460500-1417379152_thumb.png

• 11 months later...

Hey Guys,

I don't know if you know about GDB Pretty-Printer. GDB Pretty-Print let you print your debug output in a legible way. I tried to write the Pretty-Printers analyzing the SystemC 2.3 implementation and I was learning how the information is stored within the SystemC implementation. You will find the Pretty-Printer under following link. 

https://github.com/AHeimberger/SystemC-2.3-Pretty-Printer

On Github you will find instructions about installing the Pretty-Printer and a verification python file. Hope this Pretty-Printer helps you and does not cause to many problems. I were also able to use them within Eclipse.

Cheers Andy

Thank you! 

I think we need something like that to be bundled with reference SystemC implementation. 

• 2 years later...

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your contribution. That's very good to have!

Do you have something similar for sc_in/sc_out/sc_inout types?

E.g.,  in the following code:

SC_MODULE(dummy) {
  sc_in_clk clock;
  sc_in<bool> i;
  sc_out<sc_int<2> > o;
  SC_CTOR(dummy): clock("clk"),i("i"),o("o") { ... }
};

int sc_main (int argc, char **argv) {
  dummy d("d");
  sc_signal<bool> clk;
  sc_signal<bool> i;
  sc_signal<sc_int<2> > o;
  d.clock(clk);
  d.i(i);
  d.o(o);
  return 0;
}

If I put a breakpoint with gdb on the return statement, and try to print sc_signal/sc_in/sc_out elements, I get not pretty-printed elements.

Worse, I get the following error when printing signal "o" and output port "d.o":

Python Exception <class 'gdb.error'> There is no member or method named m_len.:

Do you know what can happen here?

Thanks,

Florian

On 9/26/2018 at 8:22 AM, fletombe said:

Worse, I get the following error when printing signal "o" and output port "d.o":

Do you know what can happen here?

Thanks,

Florian

I'm not using this particular pretty-printer, since we have a better one internally.  But simply by looking at source code, it seems like it does not supports signals/ports: https://github.com/AHeimberger/SystemC-2.3-Pretty-Printer/blob/master/systemc23/systemc23printers.py

On 9/27/2018 at 7:28 PM, Roman Popov said:

I'm not using this particular pretty-printer, since we have a better one internally.  But simply by looking at source code, it seems like it does not supports signals/ports: https://github.com/AHeimberger/SystemC-2.3-Pretty-Printer/blob/master/systemc23/systemc23printers.py

Thanks, I had noticed that. But then, why would I reach a pretty-printer if those types are not supported?

By curiosity, may I know how you manage signals/ports?

Thanks,

Florian

6 hours ago, fletombe said:

Thanks, I had noticed that. But then, why would I reach a pretty-printer if those types are not supported?

Hard to say without debugging. In source code I see they are registered using "RegexpCollectionPrettyPrinter", probably sc_dt::sc_int<(.*)> matches sc_signal<sc_int<2>> ? 

By curiosity, may I know how you manage signals/ports?

Signal has m_cur_val and m_new_val fields, storing current and next signal value. So they are pretty-printed as  "m_cur_val -> m_new_val".  Ports are just decorated pointers, signal port has m_interface field holding a pointer to signal, so pretty-printer dereferences it, casts to dynamic type and prints it the same way as signal.

Actually you can do much more with GDB Python API. I have even written SystemC to Verilog converter using GDB (Generates complete netlist, but without process bodies). Commercial SystemC interactive simulators/debuggers are also based on GDB AFAIK.