Any doc in support of systemC models ?

mohitnegi

Hello ,

I am assigned a task to make modelling of a controller and i am preparing a  doc in support of it ..Which wouild be later used for 

architecture analysis ...

What what this doc be having ???and how differnt this goinmg to be wrt to design spec ..

My controller has both HW and SW functionality  ??? shud i mention both in my modeling doc or stick to HW ??

I suggest that the key is to decide who you're writing the document for. If your model is going to be used for architectural analysis, then you should write the document for an architect.

The next question, is what is the architect going to do? If they need to decide how to partition an algorithm between hardware and software then you have to assume that they need a model that can support both hardware and software.

If you are targeting a known platform (e.g. a particular processor and bus and set of peripherals) then you can assume the CPU is fixed, and concentrate on the platform. In that case the architect needs to know how to configure the model to vary bus widths, bandwidth, bridges, and so on; and how to read performance information from the model.

regards

Alan

I suggest that the key is to decide who you're writing the document for. If your model is going to be used for architectural analysis, then you should write the document for an architect.

The next question, is what is the architect going to do? If they need to decide how to partition an algorithm between hardware and software then you have to assume that they need a model that can support both hardware and software.

If you are targeting a known platform (e.g. a particular processor and bus and set of peripherals) then you can assume the CPU is fixed, and concentrate on the platform. In that case the architect needs to know how to configure the model to vary bus widths, bandwidth, bridges, and so on; and how to read performance information from the model.

regards

Alan

Hello Alan,

Thanks for your prompt response  ..

Well we have a protocol spec available which has seggeregated the HW and SW part ...

- Now initially iwish to make a functional untimed model which could be used in support for design spec development and demo purposes ...

- later i could refine further for architectural analysis which could be used by architect  ..

what what be doc insupport for both cases ??

Thanks in advance ...

For a functional untimed model, I guess the user needs to know how to set up and control the model, and how to integrate it into the rest of the system, and how to run it.

It's not clear to me if this is an untimed model of the whole system.

If it's for spec development and demo, I would expect it to output data for use as a reference later on, and perhaps to display that data in a useful form for a demo.

Another way to think about it would be to develop "use cases" and then write the documentation according to that.

So your person working on the design spec might say

"I want to run the model and see a graph of the results"

or

"I want to run the model"

"I need to set bus precision of data"

"I need to output data as a video frame for import into Matlab"

From those use cases, you should be able to derive the documentation.

For the architect, I would expect to need to specify a register map and how to program the registers as well as the above.

It's a very general question, so it's hard to answer! But thinking about use cases is probably a good place to start.

kind regards

Alan

For a functional untimed model, I guess the user needs to know how to set up and control the model, and how to integrate it into the rest of the system, and how to run it.

It's not clear to me if this is an untimed model of the whole system.

If it's for spec development and demo, I would expect it to output data for use as a reference later on, and perhaps to display that data in a useful form for a demo.

Another way to think about it would be to develop "use cases" and then write the documentation according to that.

So your person working on the design spec might say

"I want to run the model and see a graph of the results"

or

"I want to run the model"

"I need to set bus precision of data"

"I need to output data as a video frame for import into Matlab"

From those use cases, you should be able to derive the documentation.

For the architect, I would expect to need to specify a register map and how to program the registers as well as the above.

It's a very general question, so it's hard to answer! But thinking about use cases is probably a good place to start.

kind regards

Alan

hello Alan ,

the cases that i might be using includes both SW as well as HW functionality (defined in protocol spec)  ..then should i implement both ??

and if i go with HW part ..how will the demo follow ??