What is the structure of a signal?

NickIlieskou

Hello to everybody, 

I would like to know some more information about signals offered by SystemC.

1. How does the signal's structure look like? Is it allocated as an array of data ? Is it just a variable? 
  2. Do signals have any overhead? For instance what will happen if I use 5000 signals? 

Thank you in advance !!!! 

The source code is available for you to look at. Signals contain basically two variables for the data (current and future data), plus some events used for the mechanics. Their size is not really an issue; however, they are technically primitive channels and they use the request_update() mechanism to create their non-blocking behavior.

Thanks for your answer. I was looking at sc_signal.h file.I understand that a signal in systemC is a class. As far as I understand there won't be any overhead as the simulation kernel will not insert any delays in the simulation. What I mean is that the time needed to run all these functions in the kernel files of systemC are not delaying the real simulation time. Consequently we do not have any overhead. Am I correct?