Passing user defined object as a parameter for sc_fifo

jinhuang12

Hello, I want to make a server module that outputs a user defined class through sc_fifo and I'm not sure if that is possible.  So far, I have this 

Server module header

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#include <systemc.h>

#include "Gaze.h"

#include "ImageObjects.h"

#include "Image.h"

#include "iostream.h"

#include "fstream.h"

#include "string.h"

#include <sstream>

SC_MODULE(Server)

{

//PORTS FOR SERVER

sc_in_clk clk; //Clock

sc_in<sc_uint<8> > check; //Signal for client to request new image

sc_port<sc_fifo_in<Gaze >> inClient; // input from client

sc_port<sc_fifo_out<Image >> output; //output to client

void sendImage(sc_uint<8> img); //Function to send image to client

std::vector<Image> getImages(); //Takes in annotation files and saves them as images

//Local data structures

std::vector<Image> ImageBuffer;

SC_CTOR(Server)

{

SC_METHOD(sendImage);

sensitive << check;

}

};

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would "sc_port<sc_fifo_out<Image >> output;" that line of code work?

Image is just a class I created in c++
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#include "ImageObjects.h"

#include <vector>

class Image : public sc_interface

{

public:

int imageNumber;

std::vector<ImageObjects> obj;

Image(int i, std::vector<ImageObjects> ob);

//void setImage(int, Objects[]);

virtual Image returnImage();

};

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for all the help!

sc_fifo_in and sc_fifo_out are already specialized ports to be connected to an sc_fifo. So, you don't need to put them as a template argument to sc_port<IF>. Regarding what kind of operations a user-defined type has to support to be communicated through an sc_fifo, have a look to clause 6.23.3 in the freely available IEEE Std 1666-2011. Basically, the output stream operator<<, an assignment operator=, and a default constructor have to be defined for that it can work.

Thank you for the reply, so in order for me to pass an Image over sc_fifo, would I have to change my Image class code to something like this?

template <typename T>
class Image;

template <typename T>
ostream& operator<<(ostream &, const Image<T> &);

template<typename T>
class Image
{
public:
friend ostream& operator<< <>(ostream & output, const Image<T> & theImage);
};

template<typename T>
ostream& operator<<(ostream & output, const Image<T> & theImage)
{
return output;
}

Can you show an example of how I would use the assignment operator and would I have to change the Image.cpp file to accommodate this change?

Image.cpp

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#include "Image.h"

//void Image::setImage(int imageNumber, Objects objects[])
//{
//    this->imageNumber = imageNumber;
//    
//    int i = 0;
//    while (i < sizeof(*objects))
//    {
//        this->objects = objects;
//        i++;
//    }
//    
//}

Image::Image(int imageNumber, std::vector<ImageObjects> obj)
{
    this->imageNumber = imageNumber;
    this->obj = obj;

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks again!

The assignment operator just implements the copy operation when you want to assign the value of a variable to another one of the same type. By default, C++ generates a copy constructor and assignment operator, which will simply use member-wise assignment. This usually won't be enough if you use internally pointers and dynamic memory allocation.

The sc_fifo uses the assignment operation to copy the value passed into its input into the internal buffer of the FIFO.

Have a look to the Doulos FAQ on SystemC to know more about how to use user-defined data types with SystemC channels:

http://www.doulos.com/knowhow/systemc/faq/#q1

For examples how to implement correctly the copy constructor and assignment operation, have a look into a good C++ book or the C++ FAQ. Here are some helpful URLs:

http://www.isocpp.org/

http://www.cplusplus.com

http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq/