"Reading" a file and passing it as input

sumi29

I am writing some code that requires me to read a file and then use it as input to the SystemC module. What this means is that I should read a file, say, abc.xxx, and then send its content in the binary form to a port (another way to interpret this: I wanna read a file into the buffer and send this buffer through a SystemC port). Basically, I want to demonstrate that I can "read" any file and perform any operations on it. My questions are:

1) I could use a text file as my input. Read the text file, and store its text contents in a string (using C++, which would be enough for my purposes). But how would I send this string through a systemC port?

2) The above solution is only for text files, where I wanna use the text content of a text file. But like my original query, what would I do when I just want to transfer the file through the port?

I apologize if my query isn't completely clear. Thanks in advance!!

I am writing some code that requires me to read a file and then use it as input to the SystemC module. What this means is that I should read a file, say, abc.xxx, and then send its content in the binary form to a port (another way to interpret this: I wanna read a file into the buffer and send this buffer through a SystemC port). Basically, I want to demonstrate that I can "read" any file and perform any operations on it. My questions are:

1) I could use a text file as my input. Read the text file, and store its text contents in a string (using C++, which would be enough for my purposes). But how would I send this string through a systemC port?

2) The above solution is only for text files, where I wanna use the text content of a text file. But like my original query, what would I do when I just want to transfer the file through the port?

I apologize if my query isn't completely clear. Thanks in advance!!

Hello,

I am afraid you have run into the limitations of C++ templates, and a

viable option is to use your own custom channel. To achieve that,

you have to :

1. create a custom interface - sub-class of sc_core::sc_interface

2. create a class that implements the interface - the channel

3. create a custom port to read in strings from your custom channel

Because of the limitations of C++ templates, there is no generic way to

tackle strings. You see for all the pre-defined port types in SystemC, the

size of the data type is fixed (int 'x' bytes, double 'y' bytes etc., ) But

there is no fixed size for a string -- how would the SystemC elaboration

step assign space for it ? So, one has to create one's own channel