UVM_FATAL invokes $finish(1)

LehKui

To circumvent UVM calling on $finish directly when completing normally, one would override "finish_on_completion" to 0 before calling "run_test()". What I do is:

uvm_top.finish_on_completion = 0;

run_test();

$finish(2);

The last statement tells the tool to publish useful simulation statistics such as total run time, memory used, etc. This information is very useful in monitoring large batches of simulations for many purposes, among which is farm optimisation and debugging bad code consuming lots of memory.

However, when UVM_FATAL is invoked, effectively a $finish(1) is called - and the above-mentioned information is thrown away. Is there a way to overcome this and get UVM to call $finish(2) or at least allows this to be customised? Probably via a uvm_config_db::set()  and uvm_config_db::get() ? Or perhaps I am not aware of something that already allows this?

A work-around would be avoid using UVM_FATAL and use UVM_ERROR with a following $finish(2) - but this is clumsy and widespread change is required.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

hi,

You should file a Mantis to have UVM support diagnostics for $finish as described in 1800-LRM.

As a workaround you might be able to code a report_catcher to catch all FATALs and ERRORs then call $finish(arg) .

Forgive my lack of knowledge here, but where exactly should this Mantis be filed? A link, pls? Cheers

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

There are existing solutions to this

Use a final block.

This assumes there is only one final block in the design.

initial begin
          run_test();
         end
final $finish(2); // or DPI call to get the system information you want.

Or, as I mentioned above, there are tool specific ways of writing your scripts.