systemC data type conversions

srahulkumar1989

Hi all,

I am newbie to system c and i am trying to work on system c data type's conversions.

I have a inport which a system c ufixed type and i need to change it to a bool type on the outport.

i tried the following code.

SC_MODULE(convert)
{
sc_in<sc_ufixed < 1, 1, SC_TRN, SC_SAT > > din;
sc_out<bool> dout;

bool i;

void conversion1() {

i = din.to_bool();
dout.write(i);

}
SC_CTOR(convert)
{
SC_METHOD(conversion);
sensitive<< din;
}
};

Is the above code correct? do i need to use the process method to convert the inport type to a another datatype on the outport?

And Could you please refer me some good reference for system c data type conversions.

Thank you very much

Hello,

the code you have written won't compile, because:

- sc_ufixed does not provide a to_bool() member function as the sc_logic and bit select classes do.

- you should use the read() member function of the sc_in port to access the sc_ufixed() value.

However, your approach to use an SC_METHOD sensitive to the input port is correct. You will have to define a criteria, when your sc_ufixed value should be considered as true and when not. All fixed point data types provide is_neg() and is_zero() member functions, which might be suitable candidates for a conversion to bool depending on your truth criteria.

A one bit sc_ufixed value doesn't make really sense or did you mean an sc_uint value?

The SystemC datatypes are described in detail in chapter 7 of the IEEE Std 1666-2011, which you can download for free by following the link on www.accellera.org.

Regards,

Torsten

Thank you for your reply Torsten.

I can understand .to_bool () member function cannot be used with fixed point types and fixed point types must be provided with the read member functions to read the value and also a criterion should be provided for outputting the boolean value (1 or 0) 

keeping the things on mind i tried to rewrite the code for an example. Please check the code and correct me if i am wrong.

#include "systemc.h"
#define SC_INCLUDE_FX

SC_MODULE( convert)
{
sc_in<sc_ufixed < 12, 12, SC_TRN, SC_SAT > > count;
sc_out<bool > FIFO_we;

void function1(){
if ((count>= 1)&&(count<= 50))        // condition for the boolean
{
FIFO_we =count.read().is_zero();     // read() function and conversion to bool type
FIFO_we=1; // assign the boolean value
}
else 
{
FIFO_we =count.read().is_zero();
FIFO_we = 0;
}
SC_CTOR(convert) {
SC_METHOD(function1);
sensitive << count;
} // End of Constructor

};

Your solution is way too complicated and obfuscates your intent. Try instead the following implementation of function1:

void function1(){
  if ((count.read() >= 1) && (count.read() <= 50)) {

FIFO_we.write(true);

} else {

FIFO_we.write(false);

}

}

Your decision criteria doesn't show why you would want to use sc_ufixed instead of a plain integer type or sc_int<N> / sc_uint<N>.