Analysis port in user callback class

ManMe

uvm_analysis_imp requires that the implementation be a component, but uvm_analysis_port can be instantiated outside of a component:

uvm_analysis_port #( my_obj ) myport = new( "myport", null );

It might make debugging more difficult, but the port functionality doesn't require it.

• 9 years later...

Apologies for the necropost, but I'm trying to do the same the OP is doing.

I have a VIP that exposes a callback to access its internal states and I want to pack that state into a transaction and transfer it to a subscriber for some further processing.

I've described the usecase here: https://verificationacademy.com/forums/uvm/analysis-port-wrapped-callback

but unfortunately not many answers so far...

Anyone from this forum open to chime in?

On 7/7/2022 at 2:48 PM, David Black said:

you simply are describing a UVM subscriber.

Hi David, I'm not entirely sure to understand what you mean. A UVM subscriber is essentially a uvm_component with an associated analysis_export at my disposal.

My VIP exposes a callback (not an analysis_port) so how can I 'attach' the analysis_export of my subscriber to my callback?

My preferred way would be to instantiate an analysis_port in my callback and have it connected to my subscriber analysis_export. Alternatively I could get the handle of subscriber in my callback and simply pass the transaction to the subscriber write function, without going through proper port connection, but I find this strategy less than ideal.

On 7/7/2022 at 2:48 PM, David Black said:

You could alternatively use the general purpose UVM callback mechanism.

I'm not sure what you mean by that, although I do understand what's the general purpose callback mechanism in UVM. My VIP already has a callback that's executed right before the packet is to be transmitted onto the interface and therefore it gives us the possibility to check/modify several attributes of the packet.